Matthias Langer wrote:

> Well, I don't know what your problem really is about; I'm running x86,
> and if something breaks on my system, it's mostly not because of broken
> packages, but because I should have been informed about possible issues
> that could have been caused by an upgrade, and how to avoid them. Often,
> ebuilds contain very important information that are brought to the user
> via elog, ewarn and friends. The problem with this approach is, that I
> won't read these messages if I'm doing a world update while I'm asleep.
> This is, why I think, that it should be one of Gentoos highest
> priorities to implement Glep 42 and make heavy use of it.
>
> Matthias

Your post brings up an interesting concept; that Gentoo is both a
repository of ebuilds and is also a distribution of packages.

Providing ebuilds for X number of packages is a nice thing and if you
complain about Gentoo being too large and too undivided you could devide
the work there.  Maintaining a set of packages involves writing ebuilds.

Maintaining a distribution involves much more work; I think for some
it's not exactly the work they are interested in and it is the place
where most of the....friction? lies.

Random-dev doesn't care about 'gentoo' so much as he cares that his
packages are working/(up to date) and 'gentoo' more or less works ok
given his knowledge of it's internals.

Or am I way off here?

There are many devs that have all kinds of opinions about a distro and
how it is set up; but I think there are very few people who have
thoughts about how to create and maintain a meta-distro.

PS: If there is a better list for this please point me there.

-Alec