On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:17:32 +0100
Steve Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Except there are. Hence why we want EAPI 1 in the short term, not
> > several years from now. The stuff that will take longer can go into
> > a later EAPI.
> >
> Man here we go again: I spend a lot of time helping and being helped
> by other gentoo users. *There has been no significant system b0rkage
> for nearly a year* *QA is getting better not worse* and *the gentoo
> development process works*
>
> You may have your issues with the gentoo dev team, but spreading this
> kinda FUD is outta line imo.

You don't know what QA problems EAPI 1 will solve, do you? It's not FUD
at all.

> 3 months for specification of EAPI 1 after a year for EAPI 0 is not
> exactly moving slowly. And there are clearly other viewpoints as to
> what is needed. Personally speaking, I'd like to find out what those
> are, as it's both instructive for me, and better for the distro I use.

We're not talking specification. We're talking implementation time.
Many of the things likely to be in EAPI 1 were needed years ago, and
the tree has huge problems as a result. The simplest example is the KDE
and Qt dependency hell that's come about as a result of not having slot
deps.

> If there really are problems with *portage* those are not your
> concern: Paludis users presumably don't get that kinda b0rkage so all
> you need to do is /wait/ and let the technical superiority of your
> product win the argument.

*Of course* Paludis users will get the same b0rkage that Portage users
do, since it's using the same ebuilds. Please refrain from contributing
if you don't understand the issues at hand.

--
Ciaran McCreesh