Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 02:44:31 -0700
Alec Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Any arch team that wants tests by default on their arch can just add test to FEATURES in their arch profiles; magically the users running that arch will get the tests run (with USE=test set) by default.
Users who don't want tests can always turn them off in make.conf.

So I struggle to grasp why this must be mandated via EAPI, since the arches who want testing could just turn it on.

And for at least the third time...

That can't be done because there are too many EAPI 0 packages that will
fail, which leads to user confusion. But bringing it in for EAPI 1
ensures a smooth gradual migration.

Well we could implement this differently. One could enable RESTRICT=test implicitly for EAPI=0, and drop it for EAPI=1.

At least there your making the change as apart of the ebuild's API and not as some random package manager implementation detail. Everyone can turn tests on all they like; only ebuilds with EAPI=1 will get tested.

The whole argument against doing it the other way is that running tests, outside of RESTRICT, has absolutly nothing to do with any kind of api; which is why I'm against it. At that point arch teams would essentially be hijacking EAPI for something it was never meant to cover. We all know how bad that can be no?

-Alec