On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 15:16 -0700, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 05:46:24PM -0400, Daniel Drake wrote:
> >  Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> > > Case 2 - Metadata contains a single maintainer
> > > - The herd field is not used.
> > > - The maintainer address is used as the bugzilla assignee.
> >  At least for some packages I'm involved with, this will result in me
> >  deleting myself from metadata.xml (but I'd rather not do so).
> >
> >  I like these bugs to go to the herd, not me directly. I get the bug mail
> >  anyway (I'm in the herd) but sometimes other herd members who see the mail
> >  jump in and help resolve the bug, for which I'm very grateful.
> This is handled by a later case in the proposal.
> Simply interest a maintainer element with the herd email address, and
> add the contact=0 attribute to your maintainer element in the file.
>
> >  That aside, I like having myself in the metadata alongside the herd, to
> >  point out that I am the primary maintainer within the herd for the package
> >  in question. It is also useful for others so that when they have questions
> >  about the package, they know who to approach on IRC or whatever.
> This is exactly the reason that I proposed the contact=0 attribute - for
> some of the packages that I maintain, I do not want the bugs assigned
> directly to me, but to the herd instead. While for others I _do_ want
> the duplicate.

Could "contact" be named differently then?

contact=0 in metadata.xml in this context means that the automatic
reassigning should not assign to that maintainer, but when a user looks
whom to ask specific questions from and sees contact=0 he/she will
understand he/she is not to contact that person as the value is zero,
but Daniel wants them to contact precisely him in that case.
A different keyword might be better for that reason.

Good proposal otherwise!
I do have some reservations due to no human looking over new bugs
(before they get reassigned to a possibly otherwise busy maintainer), as
someone already has expressed, but we can always try it out and see how
it goes, I think.

Regards,
Mart Raudsepp