> > Is it reasonable to simply add the <herd>no-herd</herd> or should
> > perhaps the policy be relaxed, such that a missing <herd> tag is
> > equivalent with <herd>no-herd</herd>?

> iirc there was a flamewar about this a while ago.  you should look at
> the archives to see what people decided.

whatever the outcome of the discussion was, the current situation is still
unclear, which is why it needs to be addressed again.

either we decide to relax the policy and change the documentation, or we
dont and fix the ebuilds.

/me goes back to reading up on some history:

The Dreaded herd tag - 2006-10-28
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/43733

Herds suck, fix them - 2006-06-15
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/39385

Please use land-misc herd where appropriate! No no-herd madness!!!
2004-10-07
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/21899

Packages with non-existent herd in metadata.xml - 2004-09-27
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/21633

kind regards
Thilo