William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> That's the beauty of both upstream design and reality.
>
> THERE IS NO NEED FOR ESELECT

But eselect makes gentoo so 3l337.. ;)

> Apps will either use and/or be developed for gnupg-1 or gnupg-2. They
> are different binaries, versioned by upstream. Have different features
> and functionality. Since gnupg-2 is not a full replacement or supports
> all of gnupg-1's features.
>
> Think gtk vs gtk2 or apache vs apache2. We quite commonly have two
> versions of something in tree during the transition period. Why that is
> unacceptable here is beyond me.

Sounds fine to me; is there any technical reason why that wouldn't work?

> Not to mention again, we are limiting choice, and forcing one or the
> other. Which is not a complete solution, and makes our offerings less
> than all other mainstream distros.

Good points. Imo, you should get some scripts together and do it in your cvs
and prove it; if it works, there'll be one less reason to argue about it.
If not you can roll it back and try again.