Chris Gianelloni wrote:
On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 18:47 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
you proposing we rearchitect it all or just for testing purposes before going live ? i can see both ...

I am proposing rethinking all of it.  My current thoughts run something
like this:

arch/amd64
arch/ppc (not ppc/ppc64 or ppc/ppc32)
base
default/linux
default/freebsd
default/macos
kernel/darwin
kernel/linux
kernel/freebsd
release/2007.1
target/desktop
target/server
userland (these aren't all the same type of thing)
userland/32-bit
userland/64-bit
userland/multilib
userland/freebsd
userland/hardened
userland/linux (this could be glibc, instead)
userland/macos
userland/no-nptl (not sure we really need this, at all)
userland/nptl (this either)
userland/selinux
userland/uclibc

Of course, this is just my rough outline.  What you would end up with,
as a profile, is something like this:

default/linux/amd64/2007.1/desktop (not much different from now)

I kinda thought up a system like this long ago, but it was more in line with node-based profiles. And wou;d've required gutting the current profile code in portage entirely. The idea being that, you construct the profile up in nodes from the top level (much like one does their PATH variable), and the profiles would be re-arranged into things like arch/, libc/, kernel/, etc.. In a way, I re-organized mips' 2007.1-dev profiles to quasi reflect how we'd look in such a layout.

But I like this idea -- it goes halfway towards nodes to some extent (at least lines things up for nodes or some other implementation that maybe treats parents better).

antarus even had a small draft document up on it that's better in detail:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~antarus/essays/mixin-profiles.txt
(later on, it was decided that there would have to be a pre-defined order for the first four nodes: base:arch:kernel:userland, and these first four nodes could not repeat. Everything thereon after was swappable and allowed to be placed in any order, such as base:mips:linux:glibc:ip30:o32 (where o32/ip30 can be swapped around))

But I definitely see this as a 2008.0 thing at the earliest. I also see no problem with mips joining in on the fun to play with things either!

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond