On 8/23/07, Ryan Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Caleb Tennis wrote:
> > Title says it all.  There are a lot of open bugs, and I'm trying to
> clear up some
> > sys-libs/db dependency issues.  Does anyone use this package and want to
> maintain
> > it?
>
> After looking at the open bugs, i think this needs someone more familiar
> with rpm.  One thing I do think we should do is move to the "official"
> rpm.org fork, which would be a forced downgrade as far as version
> numbers goes (4.4.6 -> 4.4.2) but a general upgrade in sanity.
>
> --
> dirtyepic    you'd be tossed up or wash up, the narrator relates
> gentoo org          in a spartan antarctican walk for many days
>   9B81 6C9F E791 83BB 3AB3  5B2D E625 A073 8379 37E8 (0x837937E8)
>
> --

I am not 100% sure if this is possible, but may a non-dev like myself take
up its maintenance? I use rpm a fair amount and know a decent amount about
it (I maintain a RHEL4 server + I wrote my B.A. Thesis on package mangers).
Taking a quick look (http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=rpm), I
think I can try to tackle some of the bugs on a weekend. Will you guys be
open to me hacking around, submitting patches/ebuilds, letting you review
it, etc....kind of like a try out? I won't be able to get started until
Friday evening. I'll probably need a little direction about where best to
start...

Thanks.

-Andrey Falko