I didn't say anything about emerge; I was talking about the Stage
tarballs.   I know, I know:  Catalyst uses  emerge.

But, hasn't anyone realized that bash is _broken_ if this file doesn't
exist?  Quoting from the upstream-provided man page, "When an
interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash reads and
executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists."  Is that really
the intention here?  To break upstream-defined behavior?

- John