On Wednesday 26 September 2007, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 16:11 Wed 26 Sep     , Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > >
> > >  It is mainly to localise which die command caused the halt.  So I know
> > > of no standard.
> >
> > if there is just one call to die in a function, then i usually dont
> > bother ... but if there are multiple ones (possibly nested), then it can
> > easily save time
>
> Cardoe was just telling me that die messages are not that useful or
> time-saving because portage posts the line number of the failure
> already.

true, since portage has added this traceback feature (it hasnt always been
there), the need for the message has decreased ... i want to say however that
it still isnt 100% correct in some nested situations, but i may be
remembering things wrong or outdated ...

also, ebuilds do change over time, so what line # may be correct one day may
not be relevant the next ...

> That prompts the question, should we get rid of die messages?

perhaps de-emphasize their general worth, but not get rid of them
-mike