Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> While we're getting a bit off the original topic here, it occurred to
> me that using SLOTs for this, in combination with various SLOT deps
> and SLOT blockers, might work. Then one could use a search tool that
> would display SLOTs to show you which branch you're getting.

$ grep SLOT\= *.ebuild
emacs-18.59-r4.ebuild:SLOT="18"
emacs-21.4-r14.ebuild:SLOT="21"
emacs-22.1-r3.ebuild:SLOT="22"

$ grep SLOT\= *.ebuild
emacs-cvs-22.1.50-r2.ebuild:SLOT="22"
emacs-cvs-23.0.50-r1.ebuild:SLOT="23"
emacs-cvs-23.0.60-r1.ebuild:SLOT="23-unicode"

 That's how we solved it for GNU Emacs...but we had to tackle file
collisions for a while, but now you can have all versions side by
side.  Branches are easily distinguished by version numbers in
upstream's repository, but Emacs may be a special case.

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>