Here's why I think you can't -- or at least shouldn't -- put EAPI into
the filename.

>From your EAPI definition:
> A cat/pkg-ver has exactly one EAPI. That EAPI belongs to the
> cat/pkg-ver as a whole, and is static across that cat/pkg-ver.

It's clearly NOT the purpose of a filename to describe how the contents
of a file are structured/formatted/encoded/etc. It's sole purpose is to
uniquely identify a file.
Example: I use .txt to identify my text documents. However, I don't use
.txt-utf-8, .txt-latin-1, .txt-iso-8859-15 just because their encoding
differs.

As cat/pkg-ver ultimately is ONE file in the filesystem, there's no
reason to put any information about the EAPI in the filename.

I still don't get why EAPI=xxx is soooo bad. Obviously the GLEP (and the
last 500 comments lack to explain that. Ebuilds are bash. EAPI=xxx is
bash syntax.

If you just don't like EAPI being defined as variable (because future
EAPIs could define that EAPI is assigned via a function), there are
other ways to put this into the ebuild. Eg. Python PEP 0263 ([1])
proposes a way to declare the encoding inside of the source file. Same
could be done for the EAPI.
Or just write a GLEP that states EAPI has to be assigned via the EAPI
variable. You're trying to *set* a standard here, so act accordingly.

thomas

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/