Mike Frysinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Mon, 28 Jan
2008 07:23:18 -0500:

> current debianutils is part of "system" and provides:
>  - installkernel

>  - mkboot

> do people consider these things critical ?  i dont know the last time i
> personally needed/wanted any of these ...

Mainstream kernel's default make install uses /sbin/installkernel if it
exists, so I've been using it, invoking the kernel's make install from my
own kernel scripts.  installkernel invokes mkboot...

I'd guess the others are equally likely to be invoked in various custom
scripts people have, figuring it's safe to depend on stuff in system.  Of
course, if they have custom scripts already, they can easily implement
the additional customization, or simply add debianutils to their world
file, given time...

At minimum, I'd say make the usual BIG WARNING NOISES in the usual
places, and probably still expect complaints.  It may still be worth
doing to cut down on system size... or not, depending on where the system
size vs. inevitable complaints comes down.  (FWIW, it's precisely this
sort of early warning that's a big reason I read this group.  One would
think such early warnings would be even /more/ important to those running
production systems on Gentoo, but...)