On Saturday 16 February 2008 00:40:31 Doug Klima wrote:
> > For quite a while the KDE herd has had a modified version of
> > subversion.eclass in the kde overlay. During that time we have added the
> > following features to the eclass which we would like to put back in
> > gentoo-x86 soon. Since the changes are fairly extensive we decided to
> > send it to this list for review first.
> >
> > 1) ESVN_REVISION (before this people had to use ESVN_OPTIONS for this
> > purpose).
>
> ESVN_REPO_URI is a standard subversion URI and as such supports @HEAD,
> @BASE, @COMMITTED, @PREV and @REV. So this is unnecessary.

The idea is that users can set ESVN_REVISION in the environment without having
to modify the ebuilds. This isn't really possible with appending it to
ESVN_REPO_URI.

> > 2) ESVN_OFFLINE which disables svn up.
>
> Isn't this a bit of a hack? The point is for it to run svn up. Now I've
> added support in a local refactor that I had started today that if the
> working copy's revision matches the requested revision, that no svn up
> is performed. Obviously the situation when you have a "live" SVN ebuild
> would still result in an svn up, but then again "live" SVN ebuilds are
> frowned upon and if the person is trying to emerge a "live" SVN ebuild I
> would expect them to always get the latest version.

Same as above. It's a convenience for users of live ebuilds which enables them
to rebuild a package even when they don't have network without having to look
up the revision of every packages that is currently available.

> > 3) ESVN_UP_FREQ which uses GNU find to determine if the specified number
> > of hours has passed and only do svn up if it has. This is currently used
> > in the kde4svn-meta eclass for split kde ebuilds that use the same
> > checkout of each module.
>
> This would be handled by the feature above.

How?

> > 4) ESCM_LOGDIR for logging which revisions packages get installed with.
> > See [1]. Users need to explicitly enable this feature to use it.
>
> This seems like it belongs in a generic SCM framework/eclass that all
> SCM eclasses can support.

Not opposed to that. But what would that scm eclass do exactly?

--
Bo Andresen
Gentoo KDE dev