On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 08:57:03PM +0100, Wulf C. Krueger wrote:
> On Sunday, 02. March 2008 20:25:09 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> > > Do we inspire them by telling them that anybody who has made this
> > > choice in the past is not to be rewarded financially for doing so?
> > This brings up a different point of view too.
>
> From my point of view it's pretty simple: I don't see us generating enough
> interest among people not yet associated with Gentoo to successfully
> participate.
>
> Your idea would be fine with me if we had enough people wanting to do it
> but I don't really see that happen.

It could be argued that devs have an inherint advantage- they have far
greater access to devs to hash out their ideas, aware of what issues
the distro is facing, etc.  All of that adds up giving devs a better
range of prospects for proposals and ironing out their proposals.

To be clear also, I'm not implying any backhand dealings here- just
that I view it as a bit of a closed system that makes it easier for
those already in the circle to succeed.

Personally, I'm not a fan of a flat out "no devs allowed"- a
percentile limit however, seems like a good step towards trying to
enable a focus on new blood (or even those new to FOSS).

Basically, devs have it easy in hammering out a proposal from where
I'm sitting- I'd like to see gains in trying to enable new blood,
whether doing some limiting of devs or a greater outreach.  I'm not
suggesting crap proposals should be accepted purely because they're
from non-dev also, although I'd be tempted to give prioritization to
nondevs if it's neck in neck.

> > Why should just somebody be rewarded financially and not someone else?
>
> Because as a student people usually need the money more.

SoC is limited to students anyways, thus kind of moot continuing that
particular line of discussion...

~brian