Hi folks,

During the past few weeks, I've been working on fixing and improving the Gnome2 eclasses wrt bug #155993. We plan on pushing these eclasses to portage before the Great Gnome 2.22 Unmask so that users can start benefiting from the improvements during the upgrade to 2.22.

The 2 major changes :
- the list of GConf schemas to be installed is saved in an env variable at pkg_preinst instead of grepping through VDB. - the gtk icon cache is now updated in a less brutal way. Again, the list of themes to be recached is saved in an env var. The current portage version updates _all_ the themes in /usr/share/icons in order not to use VDB.

As can be seen, this new eclass relies heavily on the the environment variable saving that was recently added to portage, mostly to be PM independent and to improve performance.

This is where I kindly request the help of fellow Gentoo devs and PM developers : - the gnome2 eclass now has a pkg_preinst, if you do multiple inherits, make sure that gnome2_pkg_preinst is called too. The _games_eclass_ is one of those. - if you use functions from the gnome2-utils.eclass, things may not work as expected. The _xfce_eclasses_ are on that list.
 - can bash gurus kindly review the eclasses?
 - can PM people tell us about other issues that I may have overlooked?

For info, these eclasses have been in the gnome overlay for 2 months now and the current versions prove to be very stable.

*Please* review these eclasses because with a simple grep, I could find over _1000_packages_ that inherited gnome2.eclass. But many more use other eclasses that depend on gnome2-utils.

Thanks

Rémi