On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:59:01 +0000
Steve Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Rémi Cardona wrote:
>
> > What would be the point of such a change? What problem are you
> > trying to solve or to improve?
> >
> Secondly efficiency; in the case of a pbuild it could be run from
> within the PM; for something like a jbuild it would use the native
> tools and existing libraries like ANT. For hbuild it would tie into
> Cabal. While these may be used already, we go from PM -> BASH ->
> LangX. I'm just saying give the _option_ to leave out the BASH bit
> when you have mature tools in langX.

Generally those build tools are designed to be invoked from the shell,
not from within their implementation language. Of course you can invoke
use a distutils setup.py script from within a python interpreter, but
that's not how it's designed to be used and will probably end up being
more complicated to handle than invoking it from the shell.

Maybe it's 1% or 2% faster, but that's not worth the additional
complexity.

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.