Enrico Weigelt wrote:
* Luca Barbato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
Tiziano Müller wrote:
What do the new ebuilds offer:
a) A split into dev-db/postgresql-{base,server,docs}.
WRONG we aren't debian.

It's bad, just because Debian does it ?!
Sounds quite religions to me. I don't like religions interfering with
technical designs.

Other way round.

Gentoo has useflags to provide what binary distribution (debian pointed as its one of the best in their field) do by butchering the packages.

The only good reason to split a package is if takes too much to build and you have a clean way to do that (e.g qemu and kde) (then we provide meta packages to give back what people expect from emerge foo)

If upstream package its stuff in a way it's better to work with them to accomodate different needs, butchering leads to annoyance on our side and their.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member