On Montag, 9. Juni 2008, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Matthias Schwarzott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
>
> Hi,
>
> > This post is about how to create a nice upgrade path when merging two
> > packages.
> > The packages I care about are
> > media-plugins/vdr-streamdev-{client,server}, that we wanted to merge into
> > one media-plugins/vdr-streamdev package.
>
> please, please, don't do at it all.
>
> Server vs. clients things should really be separated, and if there's
> shared code between them (eg. proto headers), it should belong to
> another package. We've already got enough blowed-up, fat packages.
>
> Same with the -client / -server useflags: they're just a work around
> for certain upstream's crap design - if they really understood the
> concept named "client-server-model", we'd have clean lines and wouldn't
> need this at all.
>
> Actually, I didn't check whether the upstream did this mixup or just
> you, so I won't accuse you for that ;P. If it's the upstream's fault,
> please try to stop them.
>
> Yes, I know Gentoo's policy is to stay as near to upstream as
> possible, but there should be a limit. Upstream quality can range
> widely, from excellent to crap. Please try to keep the overall
> quality as high as possible and leave out the crap.

Well, upstream is just one file/package: vdr-streamdev-0.3.4.tgz

All other distros (that I know of) still have only one package for
vdr-streamdev.
Only gentoo has split this into the client and server parts.

But we want to revert this now, because splitting leads to more maintainance
effort as both ebuilds are almost the same.

Regards
Matthias