Ciaran McCreesh a écrit :
The package manager does not currently source the whole thing with
bash to get the EAPI, nor does it open the ebuild file at all for
metadata. You're talking doubling the number of file operations here,
and going from extremely good filesystem locality (which means very few
seeks) to jumping backwards and forwards all over the place.

Yeah, grepping through the ebuild is just bound to get a massive performance hit, I don't have numbers but that just looks obvious.

Ciaran, what other pitfalls do you see for using one EAPI file per package (except for the broken compatibility, I know it's a big one) ?

This is basic stuff you really need to know before you can comment
sensibly on a discussion about package metadata.

Then, thanks for explaining those things :) We are learning stuff as we go.

--
Rémi Cardona
LRI, INRIA