On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:53:21 +0200
Luca Barbato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > A whole bunch of science packages have upstreams that say "If you're
> > building from source, run 'make check' and if it fails don't carry
> > on".
>
> Their rationale behind that is that their code is severely broken,
> using experimental features from their language of choice or, simply,
> that they are paranoid and couldn't think better ways to annoy people?

Their rationale being that compilers and users screw up, and that
detecting a failure before deployment is important for people who care
about what programs do.

Simple example... Take people who use Roy's broken patches from bug
192403. If you build a program that uses C++ exception handling using
such a compiler, it'll compile just fine and then do very weird things
at runtime. Test suites catch this, and spare a lot of everyone's time.

> > For that matter, I'm strongly inclined to say that for Paludis
> > too...
>
> Getting the build time from 30minutes to an hour or more?

And saving your ass when you're using a broken compiler that generates
broken code that would force you to reinstall a working compiler by
hand when the package manager gets h0rked.

--
Ciaran McCreesh