On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:41:17 +0200
Tiziano Müller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > := only makes sense when something is both a DEPEND and an RDEPEND.
> > Actual behaviour, for Paludis, is that it rewrites := deps to :=blah
> > when writing to VDB any time it can, and leaves anything it can't
> > as := deps. Verifying sanity of := use is left to developers and
> > the QA tool.
>
> ... and the spec.

The spec's well defined. It just tells you how := works, not how to use
it in a sensible manner. Pretty much the same as for everything else.

> > The only sensible thing you can do with multiple matches on := slots
> > (and ||=, if that route is taken) is to take the slot of the best
> > matching installed version, and require that ebuilds do that too. In
> > real world cases, this works just fine.
> >
> so, ebuilds should use best_version instead of has_version for
> example. That's what I meant and what I miss in the kdebuild-1
> spec :-)

Generally, it "just works", because packages are usually fairly good at
picking up the best installed version themselves anyway. But yes, if
you have to pass a version manually to a package, best_version is the
way to do it.

And no, that's not something that should be in the spec. The devmanual,
perhaps, although there's no kdebuild stuff in there just now.

--
Ciaran McCreesh