Duncan a écrit :
Probably others than GNOME, too.

Thus Mart's effort to bring it to gentoo-dev :)

This is the ticklish bit, but there's still a way around it for users (such as those trying to fit GNOME on a liveCD) that need it. Useing portage's bashrc, setup a conditional that excepts packages that need static libs and set INSTALL_MASK='*.a' for everything else.

No, it was pointed out that this cannot be done for LiveCD material, as the packages would have a different content as a regular install. So this is just out of the question.

For those wondering : "find /usr/lib64 -name "*.a" | xargs du -ch" will tell you how much disk space is wasted by static libraries.

On my Gnome box, this is 246M. I know we won't be able to bring this to 0, but having it closer to 10~20M is a very worthy goal imho.

Cheers,

Rémi