On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:13:26 -0400
Doug Goldstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > What is the benefit?

> There is none really. Allow all use flags to exist in metadata.xml.
> It's really more of a clarification to the GLEP if this is allowed.

I personally think that this would facilitate a lot of duplication that
would ultimately amount to bitrot. Of course having, say, repoman
suggest cleanups would be one solution to the problem of bitrot, but
then I still fail to see the advantage over having both an IUSE per
ebuild as well as maintaining <gentoo-x86/profiles/use.desc>.

In my opinion the GLEP needs clarification on this matter. It should
forbid the use of these empty flag tags, and the DTD should reflect
that[1].

Kind regards,
     JeR

[1] Come to think of it, in the recent metadata.xml / no-herd debate,
wasn't having an empty herd tag ever suggested? <herd />