On Friday 05 September 2008, Fernando J. Pereda wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 12:39:16AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
> > David Leverton wrote:
> > >
> > > But is it so much simpler as to justify adding a special
> > > gitweb-specific hack to the package managers?
> >
> > Well, it's not much different from the existing file extension
> > logic that's already built into the unpack function. I think what
> > really matters is whether or not the majority of people see it as a
> > useful extension.
>
> I'm wondering why would one fetch a tarball instead of using
> git.eclass which is much better for both upstream and users (in terms
> of bandwidth and resources usage).

How is using the eclass better for bandwidth usage? It won't allow for
mirroring, and all users would have to checkout the repository from one
place. Furthermore, you cannot have (signed) Manifests that allow
integrity checks.

I wonder if that is an issue in gitweb in general: Will it generate the
same tarball every time? If not, that will create issues with users not
using gentoo mirrors, or the mirroring system itself (because the dev
could commit a Manifest for another file than the server delivers
later).

For what it's worth, I also see no reason to double functionality for
one special case where we also create a solution for the more general
one.

Robert