On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:38:56 +0100, Mike Auty wrote:

> Marius Mauch wrote:
>> Maybe the best solution is to drop the non-prefixed versions of 'world'
>> and 'system' completely ....
>
> Deprecating the old syntax sounds like a sensible action to get people
> shifted onto the new system.  I imagine it would work very similarly to
> "emerge info" at the moment?

Speaking purely as a user, from a usability perspective it's a horrible
idea. Don't make me remember special things. To me there is no discernible
difference between "system" and "@system", except that I have to remember
to prefix the latter over and over again. Different things need different
names. Doesn't portage have more pressing problems? In the last 6 years of
using Gentoo I cannot remember a single instance where the difference
between system and world even mattered to me from an operational point of
view.

Holger