On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:20:32 -0700
"Robin H. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ignoring Vapier's tirade against ciaranm there, we need the
> xDEPEND-syntax for SLOTS as the real solution, however that still
> wouldn't resolve the portion that has CTARGET as part of the SLOT,
> since metadata generated on the rsyncmaster with a different CTARGET
> wouldn't match on the clients.

Are there significant USE cases for conditionals in SLOT that aren't
related to multislot and multiple ABIs? (the whole DEPEND syntax in
SLOT doesn't make sense)

For allowing multiple ABIs for a package to be installed I'm not
convinced that using SLOT is the right solution, this should probably
be considered as part of a more general multilib / cross-compile
support (there have been different designs for that).

And maybe in the (distant) future we can even add real multislot support
(same version of a package installed in multiple slots), but that's
going to need _major_ vdb and portage API changes first.

Marius