On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 00:29 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 19:25:44 -0500
> Olivier Crête <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The testing should be two phased, the first for regression (against
> > existing ebuilds), and once thats stable, then we can test with new
> > ebuilds...
>
> Uh, regression testing's handled by the package manager's extensive set
> of unit tests, which can cover this with targetted accuracy with much
> more reliability than making sure random ebuilds still work.

We all know that portage doesn't have an extensive testing suite... And
that test suites can't cover all the cases that the whole tree does...

> What you're suggesting here is making everyone wait four more months
> for no increase in safety.

I'm not suggesting waiting any longer, just not pushing ebuilds into the
tree until we have a stable enough version of portage that handles them
(and if we do, then lets mark it as stable..).

--
Olivier Crête
[EMAIL PROTECTED]