Peter Volkov <p...@gentoo.org> posted
1229707964.13304.1334.ca...@localhost, excerpted below, on  Fri, 19 Dec
2008 20:32:44 +0300:

> В Птн, 19/12/2008 в 17:06 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh пишет:
>> But disk space is cheap. How big are the dictionaries? The vim
>> dictionaries are around half a meg uncompressed, and if you're looking
>> to save a meg or two in disk space on the kind of system that includes
>> dictionaries then you're doing something seriously wrong...
>
> Size is times larger. All dictionary data (without index) I have
> currently installed occupies 93M in compressed form and uncompressed
> it'll take 402M. This does not count dictionaries I'm going to add into
> the tree. If I remember correctly all dictionaries I needed from
> stardict site took about 1Gbyte (uncompressed). Also some people use
> more then two languages and then they'll use more dictionaries.

I believe this is all people have been asking, really.  For a gig of
data, compression to under a couple hundred megs sounds worthwhile.  For
a hundred megs, compression to twenty megs, or even ten or five, not so
much, as on the fast machines a hundred megs or so of space shouldn't be
an issue, while on the slow machines, the decompression latency isn't
tolerable.  But a gig of space (or even half a gig)... that's rather
different as there are still a decent number of people for whom that's 1%
or more of their total, who may be willing to take that latency as they
have better things to do with the space.