basile wrote:
> Point 4 is what I think would be useful to Gentoo mainstream.  The
> speed one gets from RAM totally beats a LiveCD using unionfs which has
> to periodically return to the slow cdrom.

This is already possible. With current genkernel (genkernel-9999 or
genkernel-3.4.10.903), you can boot with 'docache unionfs', which will copy the
squashfs to tmpfs, mount it, and then use unionfs-fuse to create a union with
another tmpfs.

Genkernel has offered the 'docache' option for quite a while, which has mostly
the safe effect, but without the unionfs, it uses nasty tricks like copying some
stuff to a tmpfs and then doing lots of symlinks into the squashfs.

Either way, it's entirely memory based after initial boot.

--
Andrew Gaffney                                 http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer            Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead