On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:07:29 -0500
Jim Ramsay <l...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > People are struggling with the one level scheme we have now. We're
> > already having to produce fancy tables and summaries for new EAPIs
> > because people can't keep track of when features came along. Two
> > levels just means no-one will remember any of it.
>
> I disagree with your assertion that people are struggling - I think
> things are very nicely documented in PMS and the devmanual, which are
> where all EAPI changes should be documented in the future, regardless
> if you specify the EAPI in the file, the extension, or both.

They only ended up nicely documented after people moaned a lot that
they were having a hard time keeping track of EAPIs...

> Two levels really just means that any fancy tables will have to have
> one extra row (or perhaps a series of fancy tables) and any summaries
> will have to have an extra section added whenever a new filename
> extension becomes necessary.

It'll mean people will carry on having to use the tables, and won't
start remembering things as time goes on.

> If I understand the '.eapi3.eb' to which you make passing reference,
> this is just a fancy hand-wavy way to say "Look, the true .eb
> extension won't ever change, just the .eapi3 part which isn't
> technically the extension..." which isn't a compromise at all - It's
> an attempt to (cleverly?) obfuscate where in the filename the EAPI is
> stored.

Yup. And yet there're people who are perfectly happy with .eapi3.eb who
hate GLEP 55. That should tell you all you need to know about what's
going on here...

--
Ciaran McCreesh