On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 09:51:07AM -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 13:08 Mon 02 Mar     , Torsten Veller wrote:
> > Currently the eclass doesn't set any dependencies. If it is used the
> > ebuild has to depend on perl if needed.
> >

> > I see the following options:
Perl modules by definition need dev-lang/perl installed to build
(Makefile.PL is written in Perl).

How many Perl modules can be installed with a Perl that is built with
USE=build?

> Having not spent a lot of time thinking about this, I'm guessing the use
> case of concern is packages that have an optional perl module always
> pulling in dev-lang/perl. This would apparently be relevant on an
> embedded system that lacked perl but required a package with an optional
> perl module. To handle that miniscule use case, I'd tend to go with a
> conditional variable (GENTOO_PERL="no"?) that defaults to "yes".
Yes, this would be needed in any case, similar to how it's done for
stuff that had optional X dependencies.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy