Luke-Jr wrote:
> I have been reporting bugs over the past few months regarding licensing
> issues, and inappropriate dependencies on non-Free software. Someone
> recommended I begin a thread on -dev, however, seeing as it may be of greater
> concern in regard to Gentoo's Social Contract.

How have these bugs been handled?

> Reading over the Social Contract, there is a bit of ambiguity about what is
> meant by Gentoo not depending on non-compliant software: does this refer to
> only the base system? A specific desktop or server configuration, or
> configurations? To the maximum extent possible where upstream makes it
> possible?
>
> The most recent issues I have encountered are quite troubling with regard to
> wanting a Free desktop OS: Gentoo now patches KDE to depend on a specific non-
> Free font, and Poppler has a hard dependency on the non-Free poppler-data
> (which is only needed for displaying non-embedded non-Latin fonts). Short of
> workarounds via package.provided, these two dependencies make a simple KDE
> desktop impossible on Gentoo without non-Free software. The xorg-x11 7.4
> metapackage also added a number of dependencies on non-Free fonts. There have
> been a number of other similar issues I've encountered over the past year.

I would not like it if we are patching software to depend on non-free fonts.

> To help mitigate this problem, I propose completion of GLEP 23's
> implementation; we already have a working ACCEPT_LICENSE, but the "minimum"
> groups (in particular, @OSI-APPROVED) are as of yet still not defined. By
> enabling more users to filter by approved licenses, I feel these issues will
> get more attention.

I don't know how this has been implemented. I believe they are just lists, but I
am not sure where. We should probably have some file such that for each license
we can specify whether or not it is a member of some group. That will make it
clear which license has been considered for what:

GPL-2:OSI,FSF
MS-EULA:!OSI,!FSF
license-X:
license-Y:FSF
licenze-Z:OSI

With lists it isn't clear whether a license does not belong to a group or hasn't
been considered. Unless we introduce the complement groups explicitly. For each
group OSI we also have the group !OSI. That way the infos would be there, even
though they would still need to be extracted by some tool.

> Comments? :)

Done! ;)

> Luke
>
> P.S. I'm subscribed to -nomail, so if your reply is directed specifically to
> me or you want to ensure I read it, feel free to CC.

Live Free or Die,

Marijn

- --
Sarcasm puts the iron in irony, cynicism the steel.

Marijn Schouten (hkBst), Gentoo Lisp project, Gentoo ML
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-{lisp,ml} on FreeNode