Ciaran McCreesh schrieb:
> So far, we've got this, by agreement of the Council:
>
> * There will be a default src_install in EAPI 3
> * It will have a DOCS variable, or something along those lines.
>
> I'd like to suggest the following too:
>
> * If DOCS is explicitly specified, it is an error if anything in it
>   doesn't exist.
> * If DOCS isn't explicitly specified, it isn't an error if anything in
>   its default, if it has one, doesn't exist.
>
> We don't have an implementation yet. So I'll start off with this:
>
>     default_src_install() {
>         emake -j1 DESTDIR="${D}" install

Why do you want to force -j1 here?

And i had this proposal some months ago, which noone argued against any more
(the default list may
of course be extended):

from
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_be89b62ad12881ce3dfe1d417ae80005.xml :

So what about this funcion for the next EAPI and also implementation in
base.eclass?

default_src_install() {
        if [ -f Makefile ] || [ -f GNUmakefile ] || [ -f makefile ]; then
                emake DESTDIR="${D}" install || die "emake install failed"
        fi
        if [ -n "${DOCS}" ]; then
                dodoc ${DOCS} || die "dodoc failed"
        else
                for x in AUTHORS ChangeLog NEWS README; do
                        if [ -e ${x} ]; then
                                dodoc ${x} || die "dodoc ${x} failed"
                        fi
                done