*On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 23:21, Robert Bridge <rob...@robbieab.com> wrote:
> So the question isn't SHOULD python-3 be stabilised, it's what will break if
> it is surely?

There seems to be a misunderstanding on what will happen if/when
python 3 gets stabilized.

The short answer is... *drum roll*... nothing :)

I'm guessing that the idea of getting python 3 stable is to allow
people interested in using it to do so easily. We're talking about the
stabilization of python 3, NOT switching portage or your system to it.

Python 2.6 will continue to be the user's default python even after he
installs version 3. In fact, if you're using ~testing you should have
it already and your system is probably still working OK :)

Now.. if a user decides to switch his system *manually* to python 3
without thinking... he's asking for it :)

--
Alex || wired
Gentoo Dev