Le 28/12/2009 06:36, Vincent Launchbury a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I recently emailed the Gentoo PR team, voicing my concerns about the
> amount of non-free software within Gentoo. I got an interesting response
> from Sebastian Pipping, who said that while Gentoo is all about choice,
> including the choice to install non-free software, the project is
> interested in making it easy for people to run a 100% free system,
> should they choose that path.

Gentoo - like the rest of Free and Open Source Software - isn't about
choice, it's about empowering users.

Gentoo gives you tools and documentation to do whatever you wish. It
doesn't mean that we (Gentoo) _have_ to support it.

With that out of the way, moving on to the rest of the mail.

> 1) Not all of the licenses are completely accurate. For example, the
> Linux kernels are listed as soley GPL-2, yet they contain blobs of
> non-free firmware.

Indeed, that's a very good point. And that's precisely why I was against
ACCEPT_LICENSE to begin with.

It's a good idea on paper, but it's just not feasible at a large scale
(like portage) without a proper _team_ of devoted people sifting through
code and license blobs to make it useful. I'm also pretty sure a couple
lawyers would be needed as well.

Unless people dedicate time and effort, ACCEPT_LICENSE is useless.

[snip]

The rest of your points are indeed all valid as well.

I can only encourage you to either work with individual developers to
get ebuilds fixed (USE=bindist or whatever) or join our ranks to fix
this yourself if you really want a "pure" Free Gentoo.

> This is my first post here, so I apologize if it's misdirected. I'm not
> sure if I'd really be able to help much on the technical side, but if
> this garners any cooperation, I'll gladly help out with anything I can.
> If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

I'd say this is probably better suited for gentoo-project, but it's
probably ok to start here, to gauge interest :)

Best of luck

Rémi