On 12/29/2009 07:52 PM, Greg KH wrote:
No, the readme/copying is correct, it covers all of the code that runs
on the processor as one body of work.  Firmware blobs are different in
that they do not run in the same processor, and can be of a different
license.

Yes, but they don't cover everything in the tarball. If I want to copy the tarball, then I need to comply with the distribution license of the tarball. That license isn't clearly advertised. It is a mix of a number of licenses from GPL v2 to allowed-to-copy-without-modifications.

The processor that the software runs on is fairly irrelevant.

In any case, I'm sure the kernel team will update the ebuild license string appropriately - this is more of a debate for the LKML. I just don't think that they've done a good job with it. Others are welcome to hold differing opinions. :)