On Tuesday 16 December 2008 18:46:44 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> Exhibit A:
> http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/eclass/python.eclass?r1=1.4
> 8&r2=1.49
>
> This causes me pain on my hosts that don't have >=bash-3.1[0] for
> /bin/bash. Because I can't install portage with an old bash until I
> get a new python installed which uses python.eclass which isn't
> supported with my /bin/bash (quite circular indeed)
>
> Technically there are workarounds for me...but it is still annoying.
> So...what do we do? A) Specifically allow >=bash-3.1 features in
> ebuilds/eclasses. or B) revert the commit because the PMS says[1] that
> we comply with >bash-3.0
>
> Please discuss, thanks.

btw, latest python.eclass requires bash-3.2+ due to parsing errors in the
regex checks:
$ bash-3.1 -c '[[ a =~ ^(a|b)$ ]]'
bash-3.1: -c: line 0: syntax error in conditional expression: unexpected token
`('
bash-3.1: -c: line 0: syntax error near `^(a'

we could quote these or require bash-3.2+ ...
-mike