Am Freitag, den 05.02.2010, 11:34 +0100 schrieb Alexis Ballier:
> > Other sites I'd like to add:
> > - pypi
> > - google-code
> > - ctan ... if someone can identify a key for packages
>
> I don't know what you exactly mean by a key, but for ctan the
> catalogue [1,2] may be what you're looking for.
> If I understood correctly, a key would be $PN and the relevant
> information found in, e.g.,
> http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/entries/${PN}.html
>
> Note that not all packages have version information; if they don't, one
> can probably use the date instead.
Last time I checked I didn't have the impression that ${PN} is not
enough to get a unique entry for a package on ctan.

> If I remember correctly, texlive has perl scripts/libs to deal with it,
> so it may be possible to reuse them for a bumpchecker.
>
> Also, definitely +1 for adding more sites, but I think one important
> feature is missing: simple http/ftp listing. Not all projects are
> hosted on major sites, and having a (more complicated) way of tracking
> versions based on a directory listing could be useful.
Definitely, but for http/ftp listing checks SRC_URI is probably enough.
The only thing which could make it easier is when upstream uses
sub-directories for major/minor versions (like gnome for example). In
that case something like <remote-id
type="ftp">http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/GConf</remote-id>
might help to find a new version easier, but I really doubt it.

But for now I'd stick to the two cases:
a) hosting sites with project numbers/ids/names where we can extract
version information in a general way
b) arbitrary download sites, in which case a bump checker could try to
find new versions by checking for a http/ftp listing or by checking the
Changelog (<changelog>...</changelog>) which may also be a good way to
know whether something changed at upstream (and then let the developer
decide what it was)

--
Tiziano Müller
Gentoo Linux Developer