On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 04:54:38PM +0100, Torsten Veller wrote:
> Can we please move the mips profiles from "dev" to "exp" in
> profiles/profiles.desc?
>

> The ~150 mips development profiles increase the time for a
> `repoman -d full` run in dev-perl/ from three to five minutes. That is
> an increase of roughly 66 percent.
> repoman further prints more than 2000 lines of output for two keywording
> problems.

Quick pcheck visibility scan of the full tree, stats follow:

mips profiles still enabled:
* 116191 seperate dependency issues, 1 line per profile/dependency
  issue
* roughly 2m39s run time

mips profiles disabled (leaving mips-irix however)
* 9550 seperate dependency issues, 1 line per profile/dependency issue
* roughly 1m54s run time.

So... mips accounts for about 30% of the pcheck runtime, and *92%* of
known visibility issues.  As for the runtime difference between
pcheck/repoman, pcheck has some tricks internally to reduce the # of
profiles it has to scan down to just the unique USE/mask set- I'd
expect the mips impact to be far larger w/out that trick in place.

At the very least if it's going to be kept around, experimental or
not, the number of profiles in use there *really* needs reduction-
mips has roughly 117 profiles listed in profiles.desc out of 217-
literally ~54%  of all dev/stable/experimental profiles.

Either way, stats to chew on.
~harring