(this isn't directed at any one person or group or any recent incident, this
has been bugging me for years)

I have one simple request.  When you make a non-trivial change to an ebuild -
a patch, a version bump, anything that can effect the behaviour of the
package - please run the test suite.  If it fails, fix it.  Or restrict it.
Or even make it non-fatal if there's no other choice.  If you can reproduce
failures outside of portage, report them upstream.  Failures indicate either
a broken package or a broken test suite and either way it's in your best
interests to get them fixed.

Remember that for anyone running FEATURES=test a failure breaks the build*.
You wouldn't commit something that doesn't compile (hopefully :P), so why
is this any different?  There is no point in even having test suites if
everyone just disables them in frustration because every third package fails.

I apologize for the rant, but when I do testing for gcc-porting I rely
heavily on tests to catch runtime issues.  And every release cycle I end up
spending way too much time trying to figure out why a test is failing, only
to find that there's been an bug open about it for two years with no
activity.

* I know about test-fail-continue, but I've found that it just causes me
file fewer bug reports because they don't annoy me as much. ;)

--
fonts,                                            by design, by neglect
gcc-porting,                              for a fact or just for effect