On 03/04/10 10:35, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>>> My proposal would be to call it dev-scm and put all version
>>> controls, direct frontends, plugins and the like into that.

I like the idea, +1 from me

>> Better call it dev-vcs to avoid confusion with both the Scheme
>> language and with software configuration management.

Agreed, "scm" is a bad choice.

> And this is why the move wasn't done five years ago: by the time we'd
> worked out everything we'd need to do by hand because epkgmove was
> broken, the whole thing got bikeshedded to death.

So that's a great chance for all of us to prove we can do better this
time.  We have at least two more names in the pool:

  VCS = version control system/software
  RCS = revision control system/software

The former seems more common to me though the second seems prefered in
wikipedia:
- "Version_control" forwards to "Revision control"
- "Comparison of revision control software"
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software

I'd still propose "dev-vcs", unless someone spots something bad about it.

Sebastian