On Friday 05 March 2010 21:01:09 Duncan wrote:
> Zeerak Mustafa Waseem posted on Fri, 05 Mar 2010 18:59:39 +0100 as
>
> excerpted:
> > How about the Handbook? As far as I remember you're asked to choose a
> > profile :-) I can file a bug it needs to be done :-) Just let me know
>
> That's part 1 (installing), chapter 6 (base system), section 6.b.
> (portage), heading "Choosing the right profile".
>
> The handbook (at least the amd64 handbook I checked, presumably they're
> pretty much the same in this regard) now says to use eselect profile, so
> as long as it's listing the correct choices, the examples and details
> don't matter quite so much.  However, the examples/details do mention
> desktop and server profiles (plus no-multilib for amd64) as alternates to
> the generic arch profile, so they /could/ be changed to additionally
> mention kde and gnome.  But with eselect profile doing the heavy lifting
> already, I'd not call it critical.
>
> But be sure that eselect is getting the correct listing... for all archs.
> =:^)

I could submit a handbook patch too, but I guess the important thing is to
make it known to people that are already using the desktop profile. Still, a
small reference can be made to handbook, but just a small one, as people that
are going to install KDE or GNOME should refer the relevant installation
guides. I don't know, Nightmorph has the final word, so I will wait for
instructions.

BTW, did anyone test it?
--
Theo Chatzimichos (tampakrap)