On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:12:36 +0200
Petteri Räty <betelge...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Because there is so little benefit from removing old functions. What is
> so bad about having them grouped at the bottom of the file inside a
> deprecated section?

Because then people use them.  Don't ask me why.  I have things I deprecated
over two years ago still being used by a dozen ebuilds bumped within the last
three months.  You should be familiar with this behaviour wrt.
built_with_use.  So, when I'm making changes I still have to maintain the
deprecated stuff.

If I really want to get rid of it, then I have to break it.  Replace the
whole thing with a eerror like any of our deprecated eclasses.  At that
point, I would rather just remove the function or eclass than curate a museum
of dead interfaces.  But I suppose that's a personal quirk -- I hate having
old unused code around.

--
fonts,                                            by design, by neglect
gcc-porting,                              for a fact or just for effect