See this thread for background:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_0673a33fe75961e510872fd2c1044ced.xml

I think we should go through all the ssl use flag using packages and
unify the use flag descriptions and behavior to the following standing
policy (handed down probably):

1) packages always have the general ssl use flag to control whether to
   enable ssl at all
2) If the package supports multiple backends then there's use flags for
   gnutls, openssl or nss. EAPI 2 use defaults will be used to
   communicate upstream defaults if any. If they are all turned of
   select the default (ssl being on).

No objections and I will open a tracker a week from now and let's see
who joins up to go through packages and open bugs.

Regards,
Petteri