On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 05:05:11PM +0400, Peter Volkov wrote:
> В Срд, 04/08/2010 в 09:42 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto пишет:
> > There are already a few bugs that can be attributed to this.
>
> Ok, let's say that this depends on upstream. And for Gentoo this means
> that the decision how to set version for the package depends on
> maintainer. Lot's of packages do not have dedicated release tests
> upstream (even build tests) and for this packages I don't see difference
> between stable branch and release. In such case our version just
> indicates that our package is base on tarbal of that version and nothing
> more.

The core thing people are ignoring in this discussion is that when you
do the following in your python consuming code-

python -c 'import sys.version;print sys.version_info'
(2, 6, 5, 'final', 0)

You know what version of python you're running- not even version as
much as what the api is.  Code relies on this.

When a 2.6.5 is actually a 2.6.6rc* in API but still exporting
sys.version == 2.6.5, you screw up consuming code's ability to detect
the version and adjust itself accordingly.

That right there is a serious problem.  Combine that with gentoo's
longstanding history of patching things to make it work, but not going
insanely beyond that and you've got a pretty strong qa/policy
conflict.  If you doubt this history, why not look through the python
projects previous patch-

http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/python/browser/patches

The point people miss in this discussion is that python isn't some
standalone pkg- a lot of code consume's it's api's.  As such silently
pulling in api changes that will land in 2.6.6 starts becoming
_extremely_ problematic, and it's contrary to longstanding gentoo
maintenance.

> > This is unfortunately the main issue here. You may work on a specific
> > package on Gentoo, but when that package is essential for the system
> > use / stability, it stops being just "your" package. This latest
> > example has lead users to a point where their PM stopped working.
> > Breaking the PM is not a small "oops"
>
> That's completely different topic... I'm not talking about stability at
> all. Of course, python is special package and should be treated/tested
> by maintainers as such! Probably for such core packages ~arch is not
> enough and we need different process... But that a different topic.
>
> Bug I mentioned pretends that we have policy how to set version for
> packages that use backported upstream patches. My point is that there is
> no such policy and line between _p or -rN is very fuzzy to set such
> policy. Thus bug itself is INVALID...

This is essentially lawyering; it's not bad until someone creates
a rule saying it's bad, even if historical precedent proceeds it.
Trying to legislate every possible scenario of common sense/sane
maintenance practices leads to insanity.  Godel had something to say
about this ;)

Gentoo generally speaking, is fixed versions of upstream released.  We
do have integration done, but we don't monkey patch the hell out of
their releases- notice also I said 'fixed'.

Trying to make 2.6.5 a 2.6.6 isn't exactly "fixing it"- yes there are
fixes that should be pulled from the maintenance branch, but there is
a very real difference between selective cherry picking and full scale
importation as was occuring.

~harring