On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 06:31:52PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
> >> It seems like few of our fellow developers don't know how to track
> >> down
> >> packages that don't respect LDFLAGS. Adding -Wl,--hash-style=gnu is a
> >> good way
> >> to do that. I would like to see this linker flag enabled by default on
> >> LDFLAGS
> >> (or at least for the dev/ profiles for now). Do you agree?
> >
> > I would really really *really* appreciated if our beloved arch testers ( at
> > least for linux amd64/x86
> > because they are the first who stabilize a package ) make this default
> > on their build boxes.
>
> sounds like someone needs to update/extend the arch testing
> documentation.  random e-mails posted to random dev lists are quickly
> forgotten.  new arch testers however should be reading the arch tester
> documnt.

I will update the guide for amd64 HT and I will strongly advice the rest of
the arches to do that as well. Using my QA powerzzz I will be quite strict
from now on with arches making such stabilizations.
> > It is annoying to mark a package stable when it has *clear* QA problems.
>
> please dont blow this out of proportion.  two points:
>  - stabilizing newer versions of a package when there is no QA
> regression is fine.
Fair enough, still those QA need fixing. The fact that these QA probs are not
regressions doesn't mean it is ok to ignore them
>  - ignoring LDFLAGS, while incorrect, is rarely going to lead to
> broken packages being emerged on end users' systems.  ignoring
> CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS however is much more likely to result in problems for
> end users when working with multilib or cross builds.
> -mike
Of course. Respecting any *FLAGS is vital and definitely ony of the many
reasons we use Gentoo.

--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer