On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Eray Aslan wrote:
>> It will be somewhat more work but instead of the above, we can say "tmpfs
>> might be used for /var/run and /var/lock and the init scripts should handle
>> this correctly".  It feels (for want of a better word) better.
>
> i certainly use a tmpfs on /var/run to minimize disk writes.  packages
> that break i file bugs for and/or fix myself.  it isnt that hard.
>
> plus, it's just good behavior.  if /var/run gets removed for whatever
> reason, people have to re-emerge a bunch of packages to simply create
> a subdir ?  that's silly.

for people who do wish to improve their init.d scripts, recreating a
dir is easy if your init.d runs after localmount:
[ ! -d /var/run/foo ] && install -d -m 755 -o fowner -g fgroup /var/run/foo

if your init.d runs before localmount, you'll have to resort to normal
mkdir/chown/chmod, but i dont think there are many (any?) scripts
that'll hit this set of requirements
-mike