Enrico Weigelt posted on Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:09:30 +0200 as excerpted:

> I'm doing some investigation on which .la files are still needed and
> which are not. In general, .la files only are in use by very few
> packages which use them to load plugins (I've seen no package which
> actually requires them for compile-time importing in production).

FWIW, flameeyes has done quite a bit of work on this, but I'm not sure
it's published anywhere.

FWIW2, I recently took the big jump myself, PKG_INSTALL_MASKing *.la files
(I run FEATURES=buildpkg so that's effectively install-masking them too,
but they don't get in the binpkgs at all that way), then rebuilding my
entire system, and while it's /possible/ certain plugins don't work, I've
not noticed it.

I needed only one exception, sys-devel/libtool itself.  At least one
package (IIRC imagemagick but I could be recalling incorrectly) tests for
a properly configured libtool in the configure script by testing for
libtool's single *.la file, libltdl.la, so I had to rebuild/reinstall
libtool itself without that mask.

I handled it using /etc/portage/env/sys-devel/libtool, which contains only
the single setting:

PKG_INSTALL_MASK=

thus undoing the make.conf setting of:

# dump *.la files
PKG_INSTALL_MASK="*.la"

So as of now:

$ equery b -f '.*\.la$'
 * Searching for .*\.la$ ...
sys-devel/libtool-2.2.10 (/usr/lib64/libltdl.la)
$

That's it! =:^)

Of course, the rebuild process likely wouldn't have gone so smoothly if I
hadn't already had lafilefixer hooked even before FEATURES=fixlafiles (and
was running --as-needed in LDFLAGS before that), with the system only
recently entirely rebuilt when I upgraded to gcc-4.5, so there weren't any
nasties in the existing *.la files to snag the rebuild. =:^)