On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 10:05:17AM +0400, Peter Volkov wrote:
> В Птн, 29/10/2010 в 09:11 -0700, Alec Warner пишет:
> > On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org>
> > wrote:
> > Can I install a machine with the server profile and USE=-ldap, but
> > still get ldap + pam working?
> > Can I install a machine with the server profile and USE=-apache, but
> > still get apache + php working?  apache + rails?
> > How many packages support each USE flag?
> > How many of those packages have IUSE defaults for +ldap or +apache already?
>
> Having lxc/openvz/vserver technologies at hand it's not rare to split
> LAMP server into a number of virtual servers (containers): mysql /
> backend with php / frontend / smtp - everything sits in its own
> container. And USE=apache will be used only in _one_ container. Also not
> all servers are web servers. So IMO server profile should be just
> minimal profile that hints users that this profile will stay minimal and
> usable for all kinds of servers. That said I think server profile is
> useless and for servers I maintain my own profiles.
>
> --
> Peter.

Exactly! How about the warning message. Should the statement about
gcc+glibc be removed and keep the one about hardened but make it a bit
different?Like "This profile is making use of a minimal set of use flag.
You may find it useful in a server environment. However, If you are seeking
for extra security, please check the Hardened project
(http://hardened.gentoo.org)."

--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer